Track Your School’s Digital Marketing in SecondsOctober 5, 2017
Google Analytics is a popular and effective tool for measuring and monitoring your school website’s performance. Did you know that Google offers a tool that helps you add tracking to individual links?
Google’s Campaign URL Builder tool allows you to add a link from your website, and then create a custom tracking link for it, so that specific information can be viewed in your Google Analytics account.
Why should my school be using it?
Google's URL Builder helps you to measure your marketing campaigns so that you can compare them to work out which ones performed the best (and which ones need work).
For example, if you are advertising an event for your school, and looking to track the ROI of each channel you use to promote it, Google's URL Builder can help.
Want to compare the different marketing channels to attract, engage and convert prospective parents?
How to create your unique tracking link
The entire process for setting up a tracking code takes only seconds. Note that only the first two fields are mandatory:
- Website URL: this is the link that you’d like to track.
- Campaign Source: use this to identify the digital channel you’re using the link on (example, Social or Google).
- Campaign Medium: use this to identify the medium on that source that you’re using the link on (example, Facebook or CPC)
- Campaign Name: if this link is part of a digital marketing campaign, add a campaign name to view all results for that campaign in Google Analytics (example, 2018_Enrolments)
- Campaign Term: more specific to paid search, this field is used to add keywords to your tracking (example, if you were bidding for Brisbane High Schools, you’d add brisbane+high+schools)
- Campaign Content: this field is used for A/B testing (example, if your enrolments ad had two different calls to action, you might add buttonlink for one and textlink for the other).
Here's an example of how this would look when it generates your tracking link. If you’re using the link in a public-facing area, such as on social media, you can click the Convert URL to Short Link button to have it shortened so it looks tidier.